Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Race Report - Heart of the Lakes!

Sunday July 18th was the Heart of the Lakes Triathlon. I did this race in 2009, and it was actually my first triathlon that was longer than a sprint distance, so this one will always hold a special place in my heart. :) The distances of this race are 1/2 mile swim, 21 mile bike, and a 5.3 mile run. Kind of interesting distances, but I am liking these shorter races! OK, I like the shorter runs is the honest truth. If only the swim were a tad longer it'd be perfect.

Weather-wise, it was a nice day. It turned out slightly windy and cloudy, but overall it was close to ideal. This race is so well organized and the volunteers are so helpful and friendly. It'll be one I come back to every year that's for sure. This year was also the 25th anniversary of the HOLT!

My race was decent. I felt pretty tired, but I improved my time from last year by about 2.5 minutes, so I can't be too disappointed. I was 7th in my age group and 36th woman overall in a time of 2:02:40. We had to add on some running and biking after this race, which was tough. I ran an additional hour on the course, then biked for an hour. That made it a 4+ hour day. Coach had on the training schedule to make it a 5.5 hour day, but since we went WAY over in training hours the week before with our long ride and run, we called it good.

Next on tap is the Chisago Lakes Half Ironman which is the race I really need to focus on. It's the last big one before Ironman. I need to make sure and get the nutrition down and be prepared for some heat. A Half Ironman smack-dab at the end of July is almost guaranteeing 90 degree temps!

No comments:

Post a Comment