Friday, June 18, 2010

Race Report - Liberty Half Ironman!

Well, I did it. I finished my 2nd Half Ironman! (If it needs clarification the distances are a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile run.) Overall, it was a good day weather-wise in Maple Plain where the race took place last Saturday. It was in the 60's and it didn't rain until we were out on the run, which felt kind of good actually.

I have only done one other Half Ironman, and that was last August. That was a horrible day... we had to deal with wind, rain, and hail on the bike... it was scary to say the least. I finished that day in 6 hours and 15 minutes. On Saturday I finished in 5 hours and 53 minutes. That's a 22 minute improvement and a PR (personal record). I'll take it!
I was 4th in my age group this time, and 27th woman overall. I was happy with the race and how I felt throughout it. I also think my nutrition went well. Half Ironman races are great 'tests' for the FULL Ironman. It's a great way to figure out what you can eat and drink through the day to fuel yourself. I was pleased with how that all went, and had NO tummy issues like I've dealt with in the past, so that made me happy.

There were some bloopers this race. I fell coming out of the water. We had to run up a set of stairs, and I hadn't taken my goggles off yet. I started right in on trying to unzip my wetsuit, so as I tried to put my foot on the first step, I biffed it. It was pretty funny too as the crowd was cheering, then when I went down, there was a big "oohhhhh". I felt like such a dork, but it didn't hurt, my wetsuit acted as a protective shield.
After the fall, I couldn't get my wetsuit unzipped. I was in such a hurry coming out of the water, and getting up and getting out of there after the fall, that I just could not get the zipper down. I eventually had to stop running, take a deep breath, find the zipper, and get it unzipped. It was only my second race wearing a wetsuit so I knew there would be some trial and error in knowing exactly how to get it off in one swoop.

I found some of the photos Minnefota Moments took on race day. One on the bike and one with my "strong finish".
I'm sure the lady right behind me in the finishing picture thinks I'm a b***h as I blew by her in the last 60 yards. That's somewhat a race etiquette 'no no', at least if you are not finishing with the win. I just felt so good to be done, I had to sprint the last little bit. Sorry lady, I just couldn't help it. :)

I am looking forward to having a few weeks off of racing to get back onto the training bandwagon. I am hoping to get a century ride in this weekend. I hope it's decent weather for my first 100 mile bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment