Monday, February 15, 2010

Training for Ironman is now a habit.

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, but I have also heard up to 6 weeks. Nonetheless, I am 6 weeks into my training, so I like the thought that training for Ironman is now habit. Good thing too, because this is tough!

We had a building phase for the first 4 weeks, then on the 5th week we bumped down our training hours by almost half. I had to be in Philadelphia for work so I am thankful that trip ended up on the week it did. I only got 7 hours of training in that week, and that was mainly due to working two 17 hour days surrounded by a 14 hour day and a 13 hour day. There just aren't enough hours in the day some weeks!

Last week we started a new 5 week phase where we will continue building our strength and endurance base. I think this last week was the hardest week so far. I put in 15 hours of training. This included 3 hours of swimming, 6.75 hours biking, and 5.25 hours running. Saturday and Sunday consisted of 3 hours and 45 minutes each day!

I am certainly not accomplishing much on my weekends, besides getting my training hours in. If I even let my butt hit the couch for a minute, it's a matter of seconds before I'm passed out. I hear this will get better as my body gets used to this rigorous schedule. I will hope it does.

Overall though, I am feeling stronger and more confident each week that I accomplish more, especially after a week like last week. There is nothing better for the human spirit then to push yourself to limits you never before thought achievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment