Monday, May 30, 2011

Fargo Half Marathon Race Report!

Better late than never I suppose! :)

I wasn't planning to "race" this half as I haven't been running super great leading up to this race AND I was sick the week(s) prior. I mainly signed up so I could be a part of this weekend while cheering for my friends who were running the full marathon. The unfortunate part, which I didn't realize when signing up, was that I started 1 hour 15 minutes AFTER the marathoners. (I thought they would do like Grandma's Marathon does, where the half starts an hour before the full.) Due to my marathoner friends being so speedy, it meant I wouldn't be able to go out on the course and cheer for them as they'd be done soon after I was, or before I was even!

My race plan was to just keep it consistent and not breathe hard. It all went according to plan with a short blip where I decided to pick it up for awhile from about mile 8-9. It felt good to get a faster stride going, but I only did that for about a mile then slowed back down to get my breathing under control. I had a blast running the half without any pressure, and my marathoner friends kicked BUTT! It was fairly humid this morning, so not ideal marathon weather, but they all had great races.

Overall, I LOVED the course (fast and flat!), I LOVED the entertainment (there were bands and/or DJ's at every mile!), and I LOVED the crowd support. Fargo put on a great event, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get back up there to be a part of this. I went to college in Fargo/Moorhead, so every minute of this weekend brought back memories. It was a fantastic time! We even had a fun night out on the town that Saturday evening. It brought me back to my college days, except I felt much more mature this time around and didn't feel a need to hunt down the bars with $1 beers. :)

Next stop... New Bri Tri this Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment